Do you have a sweet tooth? Or maybe you can’t get through the day without a little midday sugar rush? If you find yourself reaching for sugary snacks to boost your energy or mindlessly eating treats, you might be on a sugar craving cycle that’s tough to break!
When we eat sugar, we develop a taste for it and want more! Eating sugar produces the release of dopamine*, a neurotransmitter that plays a role in reward- motivated behaviour, in your brain. Dopamine activates your pleasure center causing you to feel happy, which is precisely where the term “sugar high” comes from. Unfortunately, excessive sugar can have a serious impact on our health and overall wellness causing heart disease, diabetes and obesity, to name a few.
Here are 5 tips to help stop your sugar cravings for good:
1) Pack in the protein: Increase your daily protein intake to 60-90 grams to maintain blood sugar levels and prevent dips that lead to sugar cravings. Protein also keeps you feeling full longer which leads to less binge eating later in the day.
2) Drink plenty of water: Oftentimes when we crave sugar, we are actually just dehydrated! Try grabbing a glass of water next time you are tempted to grab a treat.
3) Change your drug of choice: Replace your sugar high with a runner’s high! Working out produces Serotonin in the body which is the “happiness” hormone.
4) Re-train your taste buds: Cut sugar from your coffee and remove one sweet indulgence per week. You’ll notice that after the first few weeks, you don’t even miss it and having that Double Double suddenly tastes too sweet!
5) Pin-point the source of your cravings: When you get a sugar craving, take pause and ask yourself “what am I feeling?”. Do you feel hungry, bored, or stressed? Some times our cravings can be caused by emotions so understanding what’s driving you to reach for candy, will help you address the root of problem.
If you’d like to make health a priority this year, book an appointment with our Vancouver Chiropractors to discuss your wellness plan at Jassal Chiropractic.