Teething is a painful experience for your child and oftentimes it feels never ending from 6 months to 2 years old. (How many teeth do children get anyway?!) Teething can cause your child to go from happy and playful to cranky and miserable. Everything becomes a challenge: feeding, sleeping and all hours in between.
Other than general irritability, teething symptoms include:
- Excessive drooling
- Low-grade fever
- Runny nose
- Swollen and painful gums
- Ear pain
- Rash on face or chin
- Lack of interest in food
- Sleep disturbances
There are many natural ways to provide pain relief and help your child cope with teething:
- Freeze a clean, wet wash cloth and allow child to chew on it.
- Massage gums with your clean finger to help the tooth break through the gums.
- Freeze a banana for your child to gnaw on.
- Offer cold fruit purees like applesauce, mango or other soft food that is easy to eat and soothing on the gums.
- Have your child wear an amber crystal necklace. Amber crystals are said to have healing powers to promote balance and health.
- Homeopathic drops or oils. (Always be sure to read the label)
- Visit a chiropractor!
The most important way to help your child during teething is to relieve the stress on the nervous system through chiropractic adjustments. Adjustments of the neck specifically takes pressure off the nervous system and promotes the healthy function of all systems in the body. The body will be able to adapt to changes experienced during teething periods resulting in a happier, healthier child.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter to stay up to date on health and wellness news and advice.
Disclaimer: Information contained in this blog post is for educational and general purposes only and is designed to assist you in making informed decisions about your health. Any information contained herein is not intended to substitute advice from your doctor or other healthcare professional.